It has been reported that some customers have received fraudulent emails that appear to be from Qatar Airways and refer to booking confirmations. These emails typically ask the recipient to click on a link to print or cancel the booking.
How you can recognise phishing scams or online fraud
There are a few clues that can help our customers identify fraudulent email messages (also known as phishing scams).
What does a phishing email look like?
- Phishing emails are intended to steal your personal data. The email will typically prompt you for personal data or direct you to a website to log into your account.
- Emails might appear to come from Qatar Airways or Privilege Club. The email address could even appear to be from a qatarairways.com or qmiles.com address.
- Emails might appear to be from someone you know.
- They might include official-looking Qatar Airways or Privilege Club logos and other information taken directly from qatarairways.com or qmiles.com. Phishing emails might include convincing details about your personal information that the scammer found on your social networking page(s).
- They might include links to spoofed websites where you are asked to provide your account login details. The spoofed website might look similar to a website from Qatar Airways or Privilege Club.
What you can do to protect yourself from online fraud:
- Be cautious of phishing websites that appear similar to the official Qatar Airways website and to exercise caution in sharing your personal details online.
- Exercise discretion when revealing personal data to unverified sources.
- Verify any suspicious emails or phone calls directly with the business and, if necessary, lodge a police report immediately.
- Not interact with any suspicious emails; we advise you not to click any links within them, not to reply to them, and not to share any further information with their sender. You may also safely and permanently delete these type of emails.
- Before clicking on a link in the email, verify that the website address displayed matches the actual link and is not a "masked" website.
- Ensure that your browser has opened a genuine qatarairways.com or qmiles.com website address. Online fraudsters or scammers often use web addresses that closely resemble the name of a well-known company but are slightly altered by adding, omitting or transposing letters.
We take cyber-security very seriously and direct your attention to the following information which may be useful:
- In Qatar, report cyber-crimes to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the hotline on +974 6681 5757
- For more information visit the Ministry of Interior website at: https://www.moi.gov.qa/site/english/news/2014/08/19/32615.html