Wheelchairs are available for use at all airport locations and can help in transferring you from one point to the other within the airport throughout your journey. You may submit a special service request for a wheelchair at the time of booking or through the 'Manage Booking' feature online, or by contacting your local Qatar Airways office at least 48 hours prior to departure.
If you intend to travel with your own wheelchair or use other mobility aid then please inform us either at the seat booking stage or after you have made your booking. We will carry your wheelchair or mobility aid free of charge. A list of our office contact details can be found here.
The following is pertinent with respect to mobility aids:
- You will be able to use your personal wheelchair or mobility aid wherever possible. However, another wheelchair will be used to take you to your allocated seat on the aircraft.
- Battery powered wheelchairs and mobility aids will be accepted as checked baggage and kept in the aircraft hold. We will not accept transport of a damaged or leaking battery.
- Please provide sufficient details about your wheelchair/mobility aid and batteries to our staff prior to travel. This will enable our staff to better assist you as well as to take adequate safety measures.
Weight and dimension allowance of mobility aids on board:
Two pieces of Mobility Equipment per person will be carried free of charge as checked baggage in addition to your other checked baggage, provided that:
- Each piece does not exceed 32kg, except mobility equipment which can travel in the upright position in the free wheel mode (for example, an electric wheelchair);
- Items above 32kg which cannot travel in the upright position in free wheel mode must be carried as freight at standard freight rates;
- The equipment must be for your own use and adhere to the dimensions. The folded dimensions are length: 890mm X width: 415mm X 270mm
- If you wish to check-in more than two pieces of Mobility Equipment, the additional pieces will form part of your checked baggage allowance and excess charges will apply if your applicable allowance is exceeded.
Mobility aids include (but are not limited to) items such as wheelchairs (day or sports), electric wheelchairs and electric scooters. Mobility aid(s) may also include segways (which are electric scooter devices) provided that the segway is required by a passenger with mobility impairment to assist the passenger with their mobility impairment.
‘Assistive Devices’ include (but are not limited to) items such as walking frames, hoists, shower chairs and commodes.
Wheelchairs weighing more than 75kg
- There is no restriction on the maximum allowable weight of wheelchairs, when passengers with reduced mobility wish to check in their own wheelchairs.
- Due to safety concerns, a single piece of checked baggage must not weigh more than 75kg;
- In case the wheelchair can be disassembled, each individual piece must weigh less than 75kg.
Flights to and from U.S.
- Our aircraft have storage space in the passenger cabin for one folding / collapsible or 'manual' wheelchair or other mobility aids such as canes, crutches and walkers. The space is allocated on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- If space is not available in the passenger cabin, your wheelchair or mobility aid will be carried in the aircraft hold as checked baggage. Wheelchairs with spillable batteries will be accepted only on U.S. flights.
Please contact your local Qatar Airways office for further inquiries. Contact details can be found in the following link https://www.qatarairways.com/en/worldwide-offices.html